Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Juncos are definitely back!




I include a photo of a dark-eyed junco. I am not sure this is exactly the sames as the ones here. Ours may be the slate coloured junco a sub-species. That is what I have always called them. There are plenty of them hopping about the yard now. There is a distinct flash of white when they fly up into the spruce trees. Their tail feathers must have some white in them. Their bills are almost pink but the top parts are dark dull grey with white on their underparts. They will stay for a few weeks and then depart for sites further north.

We had the usual red polls and chickadees today and I also a downy woodpecker again. I put some chunks of old blueberry bagels in the yard and crows came and ate some of the chunks. There is still snow but the open spaces are growing. It may rain tomorrow and that will clear away even more snow. There is little standing water as yet.

No comments: