Friday, February 23, 2007

Wednesday and Thursday



The red polls are still here after a considerable snowfall. They seem to enjoy skipping through the snow. There are occasional chickadees visiting as well but that is all I have seen.
This morning (Wednesday) one poor red poll, badly bloated, ate voraciously at the feeder. When I came back later the bird was lying on the snow beneath the feeder with its feet up off the ground. My son, Jason, had seen it earlier lying there but still alive. My wife went and gathered the bird up in kleenex and placed it by the heater for a while. It was no use. I had to take it out and dispose of it.
On Thursday we had more red polls and chickadees visiting but again no other species.I will soon need to fill the feeder again. We went over 50 kilometres out of town without seeing a single bird. When we got back there was a sad looking stray keeping watch at the bird feeder waiting for some completely blind bird to come down on the ground for seed. I suppose it is possible but I think the usual strategy is to hide or at least crouch. The cat meowed a greeting. I thought it might be a pet but it would not let us approach and ran off. I saw that it was not in good shape and had a mangy looking tail. It is probably a homeless cat.

No comments: