Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A very tattered pine grosbeak



The weather is perishingly cold again with windchills in the minus thirties C. There are almost no birds at the feeder. I did see one lone house sparrow who visited for a short while.
The main guest today was a pine grosbeak. It has been here before. I recognise it as it is a female and it is very puffed up. Today I noticed that it has something trailing from its vent (anus). Also the area between the folded wings has lost many of its feathers. It is very plump and puffed up in appearance. I think now that it must be bloating and unable to defecate properly. It seems able to fly but it seems to just go beside the house. It can certainly still eat but I just wonder if its days are numbered. I imagine it is by itself because it is unable to keep up with a flock.

No comments: