Thursday, June 14, 2007

First Hummingbird!



I took down my new hummingbird feeder. It was polluted with insects that managed to get in and end up dead in the reservoir! I put some duct tape over the cracked are in my old feeder and it did not leak. Air was getting in before and the liquid simply dripped out! Last evening I happened to glance at the feeder and a ruby throated humming bird was feeding. It was getting on towards sundown. Now that the feeder has been discovered I expect that there will be regular visitors although there are plenty of flowers at the moment so perhaps they will not be all that frequent. Chickadees are faithful feeders as well.

A pine grosbeak visited the feeder again. Also, chipping sparrows (as pictured) are also frequent visitors along with American goldfinches. I saw several house sparrows visiting yesterday. A couple of robins explored the lawn while I was sitting outside yesterday.

No comments: