Thursday, June 28, 2007

Feeder running on empty



I had to buy another large sack of sunflower seeds today. There is a lot of traffic all day at the feeder. There are now quite a few young house sparrows but also plenty of pine siskins, goldfinches, and even chipping sparrows. I saw one starling and also what I believe is a young cowbirds as well. Cowbirds lay their eggs in the nest of other birds so the young cowbird probably grew up with young of a different species.

The photo is of one of the local crows finishing up our chicken scraps!

There is a baby crow that fell out of its nest and was being tended by the parents. So far no cat or dog has found it. Today the parents were nowhere around so I tried to feed it myself and this evening put it in a cage so it could not be gobbled up by a local cat or whatever. However, the parents appeared later so I set the crow out where they could tend to it if they will. I will check in the morning to see if it is still around. I left the cage door open.

There seem to be less hummingbirds visiting at present but there are still some especially near dusk.

No comments: