Saturday, June 23, 2007

First Baltimore Oriole this season.



We drove to Shoal Lake yesterday and on the way back I saw my first Baltimore Oriole this year. It is quite easy to identify them by their bright orange and black. I include a photo (not mine). Each summer there are usually a few orioles that appear but they are not all that common.

A baby crow fell out of its nest in our spruce trees. I left it in case the parents are able to somehow get it back in the nest but they seem to have abandoned it. It has feathers but its wings are nowhere near enough developed to fly so perhaps the parents consider it a lost cause.

There are still plenty of hummingbirds at the feeder. The regular feeder is busy as well. THere seem to be a lot of juvenile birds feeding. I thought that the juveniles were goldfinches but I think that they are mixed with some goldfinches and some other birds perhaps song sparrows. There are also a couple of juvenile house sparrows. They seem to all come together a real mixed group!

No comments: