Thursday, June 21, 2007

American Avocet



Since the weather was decent for a change yesterday I walked over to the two lagoons at the south end of the village. I took my bincoulars with me. There were quite a few ducks on the lagoons but I did not get close enough to identify them. However I did see a very colorful large wading bird. It has a brown head, a long thin black bill, long legs, and a white body with large black streaks in the wings. There were two birds.

I had difficulty identifying the bird since my bird book does not include a photo or description. It is on a checklist of birds in Manitoba and Saskatchewan though. However, I looked at the site of the Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature and they list it with a photo. I was looking under sandpipers plovers etc. so I was lucky to find it. It is listed under stilts and avocets!

No comments: