Monday, June 15, 2009

My very own Mallard Eggs


This is a photo of the nest and eggs in a corner between the house and the back porch where I neglected to cut the grass with the ride-on mower since I would have to go in and back up etc. Some year I will start the push mower again.
A while ago I posted a photo of a pair of mallards in the grass in the vacant lot just west of our lot. Probably the female chose this secluded spot with tall grass to make her nest. I have already managed to cause her to fly off the nest three times but she seems to keep coming back.
I do have to cut the grass and put out clothes on the line nearby but with respect to hanging clothes I try to be quiet but perhaps the flapping clothes bother her.
Some of my Filipino friends think that this is a golden opportunity to enjoy balut (duck eggs with embryos ) but I think I will just leave them be and hope to see ducklings later on.

No comments: